Let Your Optimistic Spirit Run Wild: How to be Positively Enthusiastic About Your Future!
By Lorie Rosenberg
"An optimist sees an opportunity in every calamity; a pessimist sees a calamity in every opportunity."
Are you a person whose cup is half full...or is it half empty? This is an important question you should ask yourself to determine whether you look at everything in your life as opportunities or whether you always see them as challenges that hold you back. You see the more enthusiastic you can be about your life – no matter what your circumstances are - the more satisfied your be with whatever comes your way!
When you’re an optimist, you view the events in your life with a positive outlook. You acknowledge your challenges, yet you're not defined by them or discouraged when they cause hardships for you. Instead, you view the world as a place filled with possibilities, and you anticipate a successful outcome with whatever you do. Your challenges will resolve themselves satisfactorily as they usually do.
Why Is It Important to be Optimistic?
When you’re an optimist, you are motivated to pursue your goals with confidence that you will succeed. This is what keeps you focused on your objectives because you anticipate that your visions will become a reality for you.
Optimism Is a Sure Sign of Success
When you look at the characteristics of successful people, you see individuals who have overcome sometimes very extreme physical and emotional challenges to fulfill their goals and objectives. They believe that if they work at it they can turn their lives around and create a life of their imagination.
Oprah Winfrey is a wonderful example of someone who embodies this characteristic. She emerged from an abusive childhood to become one of the most influential African American women in America. She takes empowerment to a whole new level by encouraging it in the people with whom she comes in contact and practicing it herself on a daily basis. Her strong vibrant personality enabled her to climb the rungs of broadcasting very quickly, at a time when women, let alone African American women, were unable to do that effectively.
A few years after The Oprah Winfrey Show debuted, she created Harpo Productions and later became the sole owner of her show, making her one of the top businesswomen in the world.
During her show, Oprah tackled tough issues in society, yet with each show she imparted a positive lesson or message to her audience. This empowering attitude was what made her show so successful for so many years. She discussed topics that covered a wide variety of issues: how to improve relationships and strengthen families, how to protect children from crises or child abuse, and many other matters concerning ordinary people and their issues in daily life.
Oprah’s optimistic attitude enabled her to overcome the challenges of her childhood and the gender and racial barriers she faced to become an icon in American society. She is a prime example of what it means to be optimistic!
Optimistic People Are Healthier and Happier
It has been shown that optimistic people are healthier than their pessimistic counterparts. That’s because they look on the bright side of their issues and are better able to cope with stress. At a study at the Mayo Clinic it was found that when you have a pessimistic nature it is a risk factor for an early death, even when you take into account other risk factors.
One of the reasons for this is that optimistic people are hopeful about their future and aren’t daunted by all the challenges that come their way. When there is faith that you can change your life and overcome your adversity, you are better able to face your setbacks and challenges. You can see what the future can bring you and you’re confident that you can make it happen. This type of attitude can ward off depression and help you see the many opportunities that are available to you.
How You Can Be Optimistic on a Daily Basis
It’s not always easy to be in an optimistic mood every day, especially when you see all of the hardships that people cope with around the world. And even in your own backyard people are struggling with overwhelming obstacles. So here are some tips to help you take on a more optimistic attitude every single day:
- Make a decision to be optimistic. How your view life is a choice. You can be happy where you are…or you can be depressed with the challenges you’re dealing with. The better choose is to always look on the bright side of your situation and see all of the blessings and opportunities that have been bestowed upon you.
- Every day is not always sunny. Give yourself a break when you’re down. Acknowledge your feelings, yet understand that tomorrow offers you the hope of another better day.
- Listen to music that brings you joy and uplifts your spirit.
- Keep at hand a list of motivational and inspiring quotes that you can read on a daily basis.
- Stop watching the news or at least keep it to a minimum. There's hardly any good news being presented and this can bring you down. Instead, find websites with good news stories, the kind that will elevate your day.
- Exercise often as it elevates your endorphin levels as well as your mood.
- Take time each day to do something that makes you happy and indulges your passions.
- Smile more often, even if you don’t feel like it. Facial expressions reflect your mood and you can trick yourself into feeling better just by smiling.
- Get a good night’s sleep. When you’re sufficiently rested, you look and feel better. Find out the right amount of sleep for you!
- Let go of people or situations that drain your energy and constantly bring you down. Instead, surround yourself with people and relationships that are positive and support you and your goals.
- Live in the present and let the past be a learning experience. Many people can’t recover from past failures and they blame themselves and others for allowing them to happen. Optimistic people are able to forgive themselves and others for their past problems and are able to plan for a brighter future.
- Show gratitude for the world around you because in the long run most of your issues are rather minor compared to many others who are dealing with third world crises.
- Give more hugs. Besides making people feel good, they help to lower your blood pressure, they alleviate fear and loneliness, and they help reduce stress. It can’t get any better than that!
Isn’t it time to let your optimistic spirit run wild and look forward with anticipation to every single day? When you’re confident that your effort can and will make an impact, this will give you the essential drive and motivation you need to create the life you want to live. Instead of half full, your life is overflowing with opportunities and adventures that will take you in directions you can only imagine!